I was encouraged to niche my business offering. Niche? I exclaimed, but I can coach anyone and everyone. I don’t want to reduce the size of my market, what about the lost opportunity, the opportunity cost. But I am not a marketing expert, I am a kick arse business coach, and I AM coachable – so I did what I was told.
Guess what happened? MAGIC happened…
It didn’t happen overnight, my niche evolved and became:
“I help busy business women get more clients, make more money, and sleep better at night.”
The feedback I had was that women resonated with different parts of the message, yes they were busy, ALL said they wanted more $$ and they were overwhelmed with the need for more sleep. It worked – hurrah! The words didn’t come straight away, they did evolve.
Then, there I was happily beavering away when I got a semi sarcastic message from a guy, asking why I didn’t work with men. What happened, well I had a crisis of confidence, started questioning what I was doing and it paralysed my action and activity for a couple of days, whilst I questioned what I was doing. STUPID ALERT!!!
He didn’t want to work with me, he was simply having a well positioned point at me and I allowed it to push all my buttons in a bad way. So learn from my mistake and my lack of confidence.
Decide who your ideal clients are, your niche and go to work.
If you’re still not convinced here’s some cautionary things to think about – you can’t say you weren’t told!! 🙂
When you don’t niche these things happen:-
- You can appear as a jack of all trades and master of NONE! People won’t be able to relate to you as you have no specialism and have diluted skills, like everyone else.
- Marketing becomes vague as you try to communicate many different solutions to many different people, resulting in lack of connection with your audience. Since you should be spending at least 80% of your time marketing, you want to make sure it’s effective and targeted.
- Your message becomes diluted and people become confused on whether you’re speaking to hem or not. A confused mind does NOTHING!
- You can become disconnected with your ‘why’ your raison d’etre, the real reason you decided to do what you’re doing. This will come through energetically in everything you do and you will gradually lose your momentum and motivation.
- Telling people what you do is hard work, and your audience can get confused about whether you can help them. So they go elsewhere.
When you decide to niche, this will happen:-
- You become a revered EXPERT in your field and you are able build trust with your audience. People like to do business with people they know, like and trust. Your client base will increase and your sales will explode.
- You get really specific about who your ideal client is in order to target the right people who will benefit the most from your services. Less wasted time and more productive!
- When you know your ideal client, you know exactly how, when and what to communicate with them.
- Your marketing becomes more effective and targeted towards your ideal client, and saves you time and money.
- Your communication about you and your business becomes easier and enjoyable. Your happiness will translate inmto your message.
- You know what opportunities are right for your business and what isn’t!
- You become aligned with your story and mission and it shines bright in your communication.
- It leverages you apart from the competition.
- You can easily identify your unique selling points and celebrate them.
- Your ideal client knows that you can help them with their specific problem or need.
- People know how to refer to you as they know who you are, what you specialise in and who and when to refer to you.
If that isn’t enough to convince you that niching is the route to success then try this for size. When you niche, it not only improves your marketing, makes writing content, creating packages and products that sell super easy, it’s all because you’re in alignment with your passion and purpose. Imagine waking up everyday with that excitement and fire in your belly to fulfil your purpose and mission. To know that what you are doing that day will change someones life.
So having clarity on your niche is FUNDAMENTAL to building a SUCCESFUL business. So is that is something you desire, then niche it baby!
Top tips for finding clarity on your Niche
- Focus where you are most inspired and excited.
- Don’t feel a duty to stick with an area you have the most expertise, or where you’ve spent the most time or money. Althought it may feel sensible and easier. It’s critical to feel inspired by what you do.
- Niche in an area that makes you smile and lifts you up.
- What is it that you could talk about for hours?
- What do you feel most in need to tell people about?
- What is it that you want so badly for others to experience?
- What helped you the most in your life/career up until now?
- What are you known for? What do your freinds rely on you for?
Follow these tips and magic will happen in your business too!
The Master Fixer
PS: For a daily boost of motivation, support, a challenge and for making a difference with you or your business, please join us at https://www.facebook.com/lindamasterfixer/